With globalization and the opening of markets, the number of consumers who need to be served is increasing. This has two consequences: on the one hand, there is an increase in production; on the other hand, faced with overwhelming supply, customers are becoming more demanding.
In this situation, with a market that is highly competitive, in constant flux, and saturated with almost identical products, companies face a challenge: to offer goods or services that meet customers’ most exacting specifications, leading them to purchase yours and not someone else’s. This is where product engineering comes in.
What is product engineering?
In this competitive scenario, companies must find ways to differentiate themselves from their competitors. In order to do so, they need to keep in mind not only the functionality of the product being sold, but also the needs of the user. The interaction that takes place between the product and the user generates sensations, emotions, ideas and values in the user: this is what is known as the user experience, and is a factor to be considered in the production cycle of the object.
When someone approaches an object, they are attracted by its functionality, its quality, and also by the design. Therefore, when a product is conceived, in addition to quality standards, design must also be considered during the conceptual and creative phases. This is what is known as product engineering: it is a process that involves the conceptualization, design and production of a product or service to be marketed.
Phases of product engineering
Product engineering goes from initial prototyping to final manufacture. It consists of several phases:
- The product design: This could be considered the most important moment in the whole process, as it is the consumers’ favorite part: the more attractive and competitive it is, the higher the success rate. This is why the designer is given certain typical responsibilities, for instance:
- define the problem
- develop aesthetic criteria that are appropriate to the needs of both the end consumer and the product or service itself
- propose various solutions with their respective improvements and choose the best one
- Calculate the cost and ease of production
- Implement quality assurance techniques that can be accredited by certificates
- Assess product functionality
- Develop and manufacture the components of the mechanical, electronic and software parts.
How product engineering benefits you
When a product goes on sale, the objective is to capture the user’s attention. The user will be the one to approach it and decide whether to choose it, or another one. That is why product engineering plays such an important role: because it helps to guarantee success, through design and quality, in an increasingly competitive world.
ULMA Forged Solutions is committed to providing excellent quality and design
We want to offer advanced solutions to our clients, and to that end we inquire into engineering solutions that guarantee success in every phase of our projects.
In addition to a team of professionals responsible for designing the products in all their phases, at ULMA Forged Solutions we care about ensuring that our services also meet quality standards. That’s why we are the first flange manufacturer in the world with a triple certification:
- The ISO 9001:2015 standard, which guarantees quality in all processes;
- ISO 14001, which certifies environmental management, and
- OHSAS 18001, which guarantees the safety and health of workers.